Smile please!

Smile please!

A few people asked why I was quiet the last three weekends. The feeling of concern brought the same kind of warmth to my heart as when I hold a cup of steaming chai or coffee in my hands numb with cold. I was travelling and would share with you the snippets, but today I must express my gratitude to those who spare the time and effort to visit this corner and I know not of any other way than to try and bring a smile on their faces. And yes, the means to that today again, is signboards.

Is the Indian society so male-dominated that even a tailor has the ability to woo his customers by  ‘altering ladies to gents? Somebody tell me how is he going to do that?



Only women’s bottoms? Live or dead? Are women like chickens that one can sell different parts of - drumsticks, feet,  breasts? And what would one do with a second bottom even if it comes for a discounted price?



  








Is it a new version of the story where the princess turns into a frog and only her dresses are left hanging? 











It looks like the people running this place are being liberal with women?  Have I understood it right? Can women wear anything? Or does the smaller print mean that they merely carry the clothes they were to wear?







Indian women perform some jobs so efficiently that men there have to be called male so & so! If anyone has a problem adjusting, please go see the tailor mentioned above.







Can someone please enlighten me if the label the shopkeeper has stuck means the item is a bad sh** or the material or the price?










Going to the toilet is such a relief for most of the people, and we Indians take this daily ritual so seriously that we get very creative with language. Don’t miss the hot bathe too.


Follow the blue arrow. He means business and you dare not go for a long or combo after paying for a short. The long and short of it is that many of us will now not be able to look at any combo offer given anywhere, for a very long time.


I took this (left) photo at the  Sangeet Natak Academy in the city. My only curiosity- does it have a decorated throne? Is the toilet VVIP or the people going in to do their business, are? Or does the entourage of the VVIP keep lurking outside staring at this board and waiting for him/her to emerge? 


Mr Amitabh Bachchan had very confidently announced in Namak Halal,aisi English aave, that I can leave angrej behind (I know such English that I can leave the English behind),” but looks like our neighbours are also equally capable. This one was reportedly noticed in the University of Peradeniya in Sri Lanka. They have repainted the board since.

                                                                                                       -Anupama S Mani




Comments

  1. Hillllarrrrioussssss😂😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice observation. Many government offices in India have three types of toilets, Ladies, Gents and Officers. That puzzles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Witty and superb. All the posters and your observations are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Interesting and Hilarious 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious!!
    There comes a time in the life of every man when he feels that he wore his wedding suit by mistake. Unless he was altered from a lady to a gentleman by a skillful tailor. 😁
    Kabeer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true sign boards and very minute observation
    Great mam very hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent pun, superb 👌

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are the vishguru in putting up such meaningful signs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember overhearing a man, long ago, in a hospital (relative of some patient) very sincerely and with extreme gratitude telling a lady doctor with tears, "Doctor, the way you look after my cousin with so much kindness overwhelms me. You always behave like such a thorough gentleman! Thanks so much, doctor. You are definitely a thorough gentleman." The lady doctor stood speechless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just can't stop laughing... simply hilarious 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how truly wonderful. I've been waiting for such lovely writes! Waaaah!
    Thank you for bringing such wonderful smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mani, How on earth did you pick up so many howlers?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know where you collected these gems, Anupama. I suppose there are there all around us, only we don't notice the incongruities and the hidden hilariousness in them. Thaks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first photograph and writing surely did put a smile on my face and I said to myself, 'This is going to be rocking funny'...and I kept laughing throughout the comic scenes.... Excuse me, I'm just rushing for a 'combo' but it's a VVIP Toilet....can't go....no other option....head for the Faculty o farts....and got Admission too..😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back with a firmer resolve

A historic connection

Food for smiles!