Back with a firmer resolve

Back with a firmer resolve

I am back in my chair looking out of the window, gathering directionless thoughts, and trying to put them in some order to share with you.

Of course, as my readers, you have the right to ask the reason for my long absence. I was travelling and when back, had viral fever. We know how these seasonal ailments can drain one physically and mentally. Honestly, I recovered after a couple of weeks, but  I did not write. Within a few days I realized that I was missing addressing you. And that it was sheer laziness which was preventing me from writing. Not only writing, my needlework, which inspires me equally and brings me joy, also suffered.

Laziness is a sin, procrastination is a bad habit blah, blah, blah, I know, and thousands of words to enumerate tips for fighting this can be found between the pages of magazines and books or in the ether world. Yet all of us sometimes fall prey to this. So, please excuse this little lapse and let me pick up the threads again.

For a few days I somewhat enjoyed being lazy and not doing much. I got so good at that I could give a professional procrastinator a run for his money. But slowly, the fact that nothing was getting accomplished with that, started giving me angst, yet I did nothing about it. It was like wanting to be invited to a party to which you do not want to go.

Finally, one day, I wrote down a long list of jobs I had to do or finish. I enjoy making lists and crossing what has been done, but more about my lists some other time. The list became so impressive, I felt that ticking off all the jobs would make me an over-achiever. Now successful people and achievers are a bane for most of the population of this planet, and not wishing to hurt the sentiments and ambitions of others, I went back to doing nothing to conserve my energy for when I would get back into action. I looked for excuses to do nothing other than the urgent chores I was compelled to do. Soon, days turned into weeks.

Talking to myself for expert advice did not help. So, I turned to internet where some hardworking people have compiled a Wikipedia page on laziness. It said,

Laziness may reflect a lack of self-esteem, a lack of positive recognition by others, a lack of discipline stemming from low self-confidence, or a lack of interest in the activity or belief of its efficacy.

Words like avolition, decreased motivation to initiate and perform self-directed purposeful activities, athymhormia, i.e., disorder of motivation, and aboulia, neurological, with anatomical damage, scared the wits out of me. That is not me I was certain, so my great experiment with laziness finally failed. It could not become a habit or way of life. My old self broke out of the state of inertia and with a stronger resolve, I decided to sit down and type this out.

It has been four years since around Baisakhi in 2020 that I decided to start writing this blog and I have been writing regularly except when I am travelling. I have not been lazy.

So now onwards, I shall be communication with you without such a long silence (Shall I say knock on wood?) and would request you to participate as always, with your observations and comments.

                                                                                  -Anupama S Mani











   

Comments

  1. Thank God you recovered fast madam.. We were also eagerly waiting for your blog and finally you waked up us from state of inertia. Though feeling lazy to comment, your writing encouraged me to say it's a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Madam you have come back now we can expect
    Your blogs frequently. Take care of your health drink more water.Due to summer ,& heat people are alwaysbecoming sick. this s is a great posyl Mad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anu ji, I really missed your blogs. After viral fever weakness is long drawn andis mother of laziness. This blog gives me a pretext to while away some time doing nothing !

    ReplyDelete
  4. SRV Reddy - CNC INDIA20 April 2024 at 13:42

    Hello madam - thank you nice reading -for making me know we can get out of lazy streak and also making us the lazy ones to know - everything is possible for someone who has not done anything 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Anupama. Your break was well deserved. But we are happy to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to have you back! As the tramp says in the poem "The Enchanted Shirt"
    "An idle man has so much to do
    That he never has time to be sad."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, Anupama. Hope you have recovered fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fever was only for a short while, but the laziness lingered.

      Delete
  8. Your write up is a refreshing start to my Sunday, ma'am! Perfect to be read on a day full of lethargy, procrastination and most importantly, no guilt, as it is Sunday😁😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice and eloquently beautiful write up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was waiting for your blog eagerly. It's always entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were missed, so much so thatI had to asked Sudhanshu about your absence.
    Good.
    Now take care and be well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is much to be said in favor of, even in praise of those who take it easy once in a while. Since your laziness has been thankfully short, no damage done, and I suppose you have unlazed yourself by now and are back on your interests, among which these blogs no doubt would form only a small part. But a hardworking person, no less than a Nobel prize winner, wrote a whole essay in paise of idleness (among other essays that require hard work just to read), and I don't know how many other Nobel prize winners took him seriously, especially when other eminent worthies have propagated the view that an idle mind is the workshop of the devil. But good that the brief tale has ended in a happy note, and we are ready for the next blog, and best wishes for a full recovery quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A historic connection

Food for smiles!