Alaska Wasn't Quite What I Expected
Anchorage: The Alaska I
Didn't Expect
-Anupama S Mani
![]() |
A handy petting guide for anyone trying to upgrade
their Alaska vacation into a local medical drama. |
Visiting Alaska had been one of my dreams. (Of course, I have several more where it comes from). Whenever I looked at Alaska on the map, it seemed like a jaw jutting out of the continent. I imagined snow-capped mountains, snowy giant dogs pulling sledges and Indigenous people (I am told it is offensive/outdated to call them by the name we called them by) shovelling snow outside glowing igloos and little boys packed in furry jackets fishing in holes in ice.
What I saw when I got out of the airport at
Anchorage was a very different sight. Modern buildings, beautiful roads, schools,
university, stores, bars, healthy colourful flowers everywhere that would bring
any spring growth back home to shame and of course, the kind of silence which
comes from sparse population.
I was told nearly 300,000 people live in
Anchorage — roughly 40 per cent of Alaska's population. (I dare not compare
that with Lucknow, which has more than ten times that population.)
My carefully nurtured myth about Alaska already
beginning to crumble, I decided to focus on the city with a leisurely walk
along the coastal trail. I could see a large ship anchored offshore. I had no
idea what it was doing there, but it made for a picture-perfect scene. It was
drizzling and cool, a welcome respite from the heat and humidity back home.
This was the end of August and summer for Alaskans, but I was wearing a warm
jacket.
We started our Anchorage adventure with a visit
to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) on
Mile 79 of the Seward Highway in Portage
Valley. The breathtaking Chugach Mountain Range surrounded us, with the
Turnagain Arm running alongside all the way.
No, I did not get lucky enough for any beluga whales or even salmon posing in the waters for me. I had to make do with the animals at the centre.
![]() |
| 1:Moose 2:Black Bear 3: Reindeer 4:Muskox Inset: Arctic fox in its ugly summer avatar |
The AWCC is a
sanctuary spread over 200 acres, committed to preserving Alaska’s wildlife
through conservation, education, research, and quality animal care.
It rescues injured and orphaned animals, giving them lifelong homes in large,
natural habitats. These animals receive excellent care and are able to behave
much as they would in the wild.
The visit was informative for me because I
learnt to distinguish between a caribou, an elk, a reindeer and a moose. Caribou
and reindeer are actually the same species; ‘reindeer’ is generally the name
used for domesticated populations, while ‘caribou’ is used for wild ones. Both
males and females grow antlers, unlike elk, where normally only the males grow
them. Elk antlers also look branch-like and grow upward and backward.
Now there is no confusion about moose. They are
the size of horse with large, heavy, paddle-shaped antlers, each weighing more
than 14 kgs. Imagine carrying more than 28 kgs. permanently on your head all
your life!
Which other animals were there? I saw fox,
wolves (loved them!), muskox, black tailed deer, porcupine, lynx, wood bison
and the ugly coyotes. The black bear reminded me of the ones from my childhood
which the madari (street performer) walked on a leash. I heard there are
grizzly bears too but none stooped down to make an appearance.
Talk about the ultimate wildlife resurrection!
After a 100-year vanishing act from Alaska, the wood bison, the largest land
mammal in North America, is making a massive comeback. The rescue mission began
when AWCC brought 13 pioneer bison from Canada, with the first calves arriving
in 2005. Backed by 28 partner organisations, the herd grew steadily until 2015,
when the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) released 130 wood bison
into the wild in the Lower Innoko River area.
The wild party officially started
in 2016 when the first wild-born calf in more than a century was spotted. But
the brutal Alaskan winters posed a challenge, so in 2024 conservationists
established a second wild herd in the lighter-snow meadows of Minto Flats, near
Fairbanks. And to keep the gene pool healthy, Canada sent over another 44 bison
calves in April 2026. Today, more than 170 wood bison roam free across the two
wild herds. Clearly, with enough teamwork, patience and a little Canadian
cooperation, you really can bring a species back from the brink.
The next day, we decided to visit Anchorage Museum to get a better understanding of the state and its people. Once again, I was shaken by the realisation of how little I know about the world.
We were in for a treat with a 360-degree, 4K
high-definition show Aurora: Lights of Wonder in the Thomas Planetarium,
a digital immersive theatre. The full-dome video mapped out the changing shapes
and vibrant colors of the aurora, mixing the actual physics of the lights with
traditional mythology, history, and art. We experienced the science, Indigenous
stories, and dancing colors of the aurora borealis across remote
sub-arctic parts of the state without having to freeze out in the cold.
I am more interested in how people
live, so the section of the museum featuring exhibits from various Indigenous
communities of Alaska kept me riveted for a long time.
Clothes, jewellery, shoes,
utensils, home décor articles, items of daily use of all kinds, tools, toboggans,
sledges, it was a treasure house of information about how the Yup’ik, Inupiat
and Unangan people live.
Something I found unique was the waterproof parkas made from seal and walrus
intestines.
To stay bone-dry in the stormy Arctic weather, Indigenous
peoples traditionally made these breathable, translucent garments which blocked
out heavy rain and ocean spray, long before modern waterproof jackets were
invented. The process involved cleaning, scraping and air-drying the intestines
before sewing them with grass and animal sinew. When wet, the sinew expanded,
making the seams waterproof. The parkas would even be decorated with bird
feathers, hair or fine embroidery. (Photo below)
These people had found ingenious ways to live
alongside nature.
The museum also gives you an honest, sharp look
into Alaska’s complicated history. The galleries don’t sugarcoat the brutal
impact of colonization. They display how Russian fur traders and American
settlers disrupted Indigenous communities, taking control of their lands and undermining
traditional sovereignty.
This tension carries right into the modern era
with exhibits detailing the state's massive oil boom. The displays do not just
celebrate industrial engineering, they tackle the messy reality of
environmental exploitation and how deeply corporate extraction reshaped the
region's economy. The speed at which a landscape can change when outside forces
move in to harvest its resources has a sobering effect.
Left: Parka Right top: Seal or caribou skin shoes with soles made of bearded seal hide (called maklak, hand-sewn using animal tendon). Right bottom: Yuit men’s special occasion dress boots with clipped caribou hair and decorative stitching from 1910s–1920s. Indigenous groups across the Bering Strait frequently traded hides, furs, and materials.
Food:
Alaska is a true paradise for
seafood lovers, with five species of salmon, massive halibut, buttery blackcod
available in abundance. The government also allows
people to fish in rivers and streams within specified limits, so they can
freeze their catch for use during the long winter months. Talk about planning
ahead!
But the local culinary history is
just as rich.
Back during the chaotic Gold Rush
era, pioneers brought their own precious sourdough starters here, going to
extreme lengths to keep the wild yeast alive, even sleeping with the starters
inside their coats to keep them warm.
Beyond the history, the summer
produce looks as though it has been plucked straight from a farming brochure,
bursting with colour and intense flavour thanks to the long summer days and
midnight sun.
Walking through the Alaska Wildlife
Conservation Center, I had even spotted bright patches of wild raspberries and
delicate chamomile flowers growing naturally along the paths.
However, traveling during the peak tourist season meant popular restaurants were packed. While I did not get to try any wild, out-of-the-box dishes, I did sample the famous reindeer sausages. To be completely honest, it tasted pretty much like regular sausage to me! (To be concluded)
![]() |
Heritage Totem Pole, outside the Z.J.
Loussac Public Library in downtown Anchorage. They are the
visual storytellers that bridge deep-rooted cultural heritage with the modern
history of Alaska. |
**********************************





Anupama, as you have mentioned in your beginning, my image of Alaska is also the same. But things have changed in this modern world. Probably better for the natives👍
ReplyDeleteExactly! 😄 I think Alaska has moved quite a distance from the picture we carry in our heads. But after visiting the museum, I realised that “modern” and “better” can be two quite different things. The story of the Indigenous people is much more complicated than I had imagined.
DeleteLove the style and wit in your post. Cheers
ReplyDeleteInformattive
ReplyDeleteBeautiful discription transporting reader to Alaska
ReplyDeleteTransported to Alaska :)
ReplyDeleteSeen all of them through you eyes Sir 💐💐
ReplyDeleteDid you get to meet any Eskimos? Did you get a chance to visit their igloos? Was it warm inside the igloo? Were the Eskimos hospitable? How do the Eskimos ensure that their igloos don't melt during the summer? Wish we could import the igloo technology in our Leh Ladakh regions.
ReplyDelete😂 I had gone to Alaska with almost exactly the same picture in my head — igloos, snow and all! But the museum visit taught me that the real story of Alaska and its Indigenous people is far more interesting and complicated than that. I didn't meet anyone living in an igloo, unfortunately. And just a small terminology point — “Eskimo” is considered outdated and offensive by many Indigenous people, which is why I have used “Indigenous” and the specific community names in my post.
ReplyDelete